A month ago we looked at our lovely preschool garden, one of our best assets, and thought ‘can we do better with this space?’
At Apple Trees we are constantly self-evaluating, we feel this is the only way to improve. Although our preschool garden was lovely, a fabulous space for the children and one they enjoyed, we felt we could still improve it………and we did!
We told all our staff to think of things they would like to see in the garden and they didn’t disappoint, coming up with some fabulous ideas. It took us countless discussions, numerous designs and a ton of work, but as the garden opened last Thursday we knew it was worth it as the children’s faces said it all. So many smiles, such laughter and giggles and so much enjoyment……..even the staff loved playing in it.
We were delighted to welcome Vince Picton, the chairman of Flamstead parish council, along to cut the ribbon at the grand opening of our new preschool gareden. We really appreciate him giving his valuable time up and staying along afterwards to have a play with the children and hear all about the new design, which includes the following:
- Bug Hotel – A great way to understand the bugs in our world. We took the children to look for cones, twigs, sticks and leaves to fill the house with and hope we get lots of bugs and mini beasts come and stay!
- Sensory Garden – Our sensory garden includes tubs of plants that smell, sound and feel different to each other. Great for exploring the senses.
- Quiet Area – Our quiet den is full of cushions and books so when the children feel like a bit of quiet time they can take 5 minutes to relax!
- Balance Beams – Aiding physical development and encouraging the children’s balance the beams are great for providing age appropriate challenges.
- Buddy Bench – Read more about our buddy bench in our blog here. This is all about teaching children to be kind.
- Pirate Ship Climbing Frame – The children love the new climbing frame. It provides inspiration for the children to act out role plays, challenges for physical development and hours of fun!
- Mirror Wall – Great for the children to look at themselves and their different expressions. They can also draw self portraits from them.
- Chalk Wall – Encouraging the children to be creative with chalk and let their imagination run wild.
- Water Wall – Fabulous for measuring, pouring and tipping water while watching the route it takes through the pipes. Its also great for keeping cool in the hot weather.
- Music Wall – Our home made music wall is made from a host of kitchen utencils, baking tins, pots, pans and piping. We love to hear all the different types of sounds it makes.
- Construction Area – A favourite with the children this area is concentrated around maths. The area is full of opportunities to measure build and weigh. This area also has a giant set of scales with weights and an abacus.
- Cars, Trikes, Balance Bikes & Scooters – Although we had many of these before we have added lots of new ones to the collection. These are vibrant and enticing.
- Art Easel’s – Another great opportunity to get creative but this time using pens, crayons and paints.
We are so happy with how the space turned out and the children love it too. We hope you like it. I think we will have many, many hours of fun in our new preschool garden over the summer.
If you are looking for a preschool environment for your child to enjoy and thrive in why not click here to book a viewing. We would love to welcome you and show you what we can offer you and your child.
Until next time,